[tulip] AT-2800TX, I give up

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Feb 20 13:33:01 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 12:38:39PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:
> > The primary information we need to know is the type of transceiver the
> > card uses.  Even the transceiver chip number would allow us to find out
> > if it really is a MII transceiver or a SYM transceiver.
>
> I just checked - there doesn't seem to be any screws or anything
> "obvious" to open the card case - is there an "established" trick to
> open PCMCIA cards without damaging them?  Or is this usually impossible?

A few cases snap together, but most are bent into place or tack welded
along the sides.  A Dremel tool is used if you are serious.

> > If the reset sequence is correct, bit 0x00080000 of CSR15 is a
> > general purpose input.  It normally is Input Link Status for "OnNow"
> > support.
>
> The fact that the LED for link doesn't light sounds to me as if this
> whole part of the card isn't active... so it might not know whether
> a link is there or not.

There must be some magic to power the transceiver.

> > Last night I modified the 'tulip-diag' program to reset the transceiver using
> > the EEPROM table.  Run it as 'tulip-diag  --reset -amm' to send a reset
> > to the control pins, and see if the transceiver is detected.
>
> Did so.  Output is:
>
> $ SU /tmp/tu --reset -amm

Ooopss, the diag code must first read the EEPROM to know the reset
sequence.  You must use the  "--reset -aemm" options.

[[ I sent Gert a tweaked version of the diag in a separate email. ]]

> > The hacked version is at
> >       ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip-diag.c
>
> I assume you meant the one in "/pub/network/test/tulip-diag.c" (as it
> knows about -reset and has a time stamp of today).

Yes, the /test/ URL is the correct one.