[tulip] LNE100TX rev. 5.0

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Dec 14 15:34:01 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Jacob Schroeder wrote:

> I've got a Linksys LNE100TX that is marked ver. 5.0 on the board and
> 4.1 on the chipset.

What is the full detection message, including the version number?

> problem is that I've had an unusually large number of packet
> collisions since I hooked this NIC upto the network. I've got 5
> sometimes 6 computers on the network counting the firewall, all going
> through the 8 port hub.

Is the "hub" a switch or repeater?  I'm guessing a repeater, but please
be specific about this when reporting collision problems.

> My machine with the LNE100TX is the fileserver
> for the LAN. In just a couple hours ifconfig tells me I've had 65,832
> packet collisions on this NIC.

How many transmitted packets?

Note that the Tulip chip reports all contention events, up to 15 per
packet, while many older designs report only "had at least one collision this
packet".

>  I think the problem is just that the
> NIC is trying to use full duplex instead of half,

No, there would be zero reported collisions if this machine were in full
duplex mode.  If some other machine is incorrectly set to full duplex,
you would encounter many addition normal collisions as well as
out-of-window errors.

> BTW - system specs are Debian 2.2r4 on a 1Ghz Athlon w/256MB Ram. The
> tulip driver is version 0.91 loading as a module at boot time.

Try version 0.93