new info WAS: Re: [tulip] LNE100TX version 4.1 timeouts on tx

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:23:35 -0800

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > Donald Becker wrote:
> > > That's the symptom of a sound card on a blocked or invalid interrupt line.
> >   that was my guess too but /proc/interrupts said that the soundcard is
> > on 5 and network card is on 9 (just like now when soundcard is working).
> > in addition to that soundcard is ISA and network card is PCI.
>
> Also, on some motherboards, busmaster signals are shared. E.g. on Abit BP6
> you cannot put a busmaster PCI card in slots 5 and 6 -- you can only put a
> busmaster card in 5 *or* 6, but not both. Slots 1-4 are OK.
>
> Can you try moving network card to yet another PCI slot? :)

  what's busmaster card?

  I have 3 PCI slots, in the middle one there is a video card (3dfx
voodoo II),

  when I put network card into one of the remaining two the soundcard
does not work, if I put it into other one the soundcard works but I get
these hangs (the patch seem to cure them), I have no idea what the
numbers of slots are or whether some of these cards are busmaster cards.
How do I find out?

  should I try to move the video card as well? are there any suggested
positions or should I just go one by one?

  by shared busmaster signals, do you mean shared for ISA and PCI?

  any hints on the above (whioch ones are busmasters, what are the
numbers of slots, how to place cards etc.)

> >   it says half duplex in tulip-diag output but the status on windows
> > computer says full duplex (they are connected using crossover cable)
>
> tulip-diag doesn't know about the ADMtek media registers. Attached is a
> patch.

  it still says it's half duplex. here's output from patched and
original tulip-diag:

jojda:/home/erik/skusobna/lne100tx/diag/tulip-diag# ./tulip-diag-patched
-m
tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0x6100.
 Port selection is 100mbps half duplex (Link is on)
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 The Comet MAC registers are 12782000 ffffcc14 filter 0000000000000000.
 MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d.
 MII PHY found at address 2, status 0x786d.
 MII PHY found at address 3, status 0x786d.
 MII PHY found at address 4, status 0x786d.
jojda:/home/erik/skusobna/lne100tx/diag/tulip-diag# ./tulip-diag -m
tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0x6100.
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 The Comet MAC registers are 12782000 ffffcc14 filter 0000000000000000.
 MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d.
 MII PHY found at address 2, status 0x786d.
 MII PHY found at address 3, status 0x786d.
 MII PHY found at address 4, status 0x786d.
jojda:/home/erik/skusobna/lne100tx/diag/tulip-diag#

  how come? is it possible that it thinks it is half duplex and the
other side thinks it's full duplex?

	erik