new info WAS: Re: [tulip] LNE100TX version 4.1 timeouts on tx

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:24:06 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Also, on some motherboards, busmaster signals are shared. E.g. on Abit BP6
> you cannot put a busmaster PCI card in slots 5 and 6 -- you can only put a
> busmaster card in 5 *or* 6, but not both. Slots 1-4 are OK.
>
> Can you try moving network card to yet another PCI slot? :)

    FWIW, I solved my problem with this card by moving it to another
    PCI slot. The symptoms I experienced were that I could ping
    other hosts and other hosts could ping 'this' host, but stream
    socket connections (UDP not tested) would not work. Also the
    tulip_diag program reported that it could not read the EEPROM.

    This is on another Abit board: KT7.

    How does one go about determining what PCI slot to use? It
    seems like trial and error could get to be a *real* PITA when
    several cards are involved.

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)