[tulip] NC100 NIC card, tulip driver won't compile.

David Shochat shochat@acm.org
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:02:40 -0500

Aha! So it is the wrong kernel headers problem. Installing the kernel
source does not put anything in
/usr/src/redhat. Do an rpm -qpl on the .rpm file and you'll see where
it's actually going to put what. I think it should in fact put things in
/usr/src/linux-2.2.16. It will also make a symbolic link (if there isn't
one already) /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.2.16.

So you do need to get that kernel source RPM successfully installed. So
you have RH7 (since you have 2.2.16-22). The RPM you need:
kernel-source-2.2.16-22.i386.rpm
should be on your CD. Remove the installed one and re-install. Or use
--force when you install.

Now comes the interesting part. I have always told people to do what I
did (and worked), namely rename /usr/include/linux and asm and change
them to symbolic links:
/usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
and same with asm.

But I have since learned from others in this group that you may need it
back the way it was to build glibc. You can always delete the symlinks
and rename the original directories back again after you've got your
tulip.o and pci-scan.o compiled.

But another idea which has been recommended here (I haven't personally
tried it) is to leave /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm alone but
add to your compile command (when compiling pci-scan.c and tulip.c):

-I/usr/src/linux/include

so that the compiler will look there first when compiling the tulip modules.
Good luck!
-- David