[tulip] TRENDnet TE100-PCBUSR card -- help please...

A. Natsev natsev@cs.duke.edu
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:43:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi, has anybody gotten the above card to work in Linux?  The
manifacturer claims that it is supported but only provides
instructions to install the PCMCIA card services package.

I installed the latest pcmcia-cs package (v.3.1.21) but it doesn't
recognize the card.  I then installed the updated tulip driver
(v.0.92) along with cb_shim.o and pci-scan.o, and it recognizes the
card as Linksys EtherFast PCM200 v2.  The drivers load correctly but I
get a resource allocation error message at the end:

Nov  7 21:28:34 (none) cardmgr[480]: initializing socket 0
Nov  7 21:28:34 (none) cardmgr[480]: socket 0: Linksys EtherFast PCM200 v2
Nov  7 21:28:34 (none) kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): vendor 0x13d1, device 0xab02
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) cardmgr[480]: executing: 'modprobe cb_enabler'
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) cardmgr[480]: executing: 'modprobe pci-scan'
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) cardmgr[480]: executing: 'modprobe cb_shim'
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) kernel: cb_shim.c:v1.00 4/15/2000  Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) kernel:  http://www.scyld.com/linux/drivers.html
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) cardmgr[480]: executing: 'modprobe tulip_cb2'
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) kernel: tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
Nov  7 21:28:35 (none) kernel:   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
Nov  7 21:28:36 (none) cardmgr[480]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Any idea what the above means?  tulip-diag reports the following:

tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur (Linksys CardBus v2) adapter at 0.
This chip has not been assigned a valid IRQ, and will not function.
 This must be fixed in the PCI BIOS setup.  The device driver has no way
 of changing the PCI IRQ settings.
 See  http://www.scyld.com/expert/irq-conflict.html  for more information.
This chip has not been assigned a valid I/O address, and will not function.
 If you have warm-booted from another operating system, a complete
 shut-down and power cycle may restore the card to normal operation.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

I checked the BIOS and all four PCI ports are set to IRQ 11, which is
not conflicting with any non-PCI devices.  Since PCI devices are
supposed to be able to share IRQs that setup should be ok, and in fact
works with the sound card, video card, web cam, USB, and modem all
using this IRQ.  The warm boot is not the problem either.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what to try next
because at this point I am very much clueless...  By the way, I am
running RedHat kernel 2.2.16 on a Thinkpad T20.  I also have an older
16-bit ethernet card with works just fine so my TCP/IP setup is
correct.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Paul

--
Apostol (Paul) Natsev              Office: D214 LSRC
Department of Computer Science     Phone : (919) 660-6513