[tulip] Re: Accton EN2242

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:16:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Philippe Depouilly wrote:

> I progress in discovering the Accton 2242 Informations:
> when i do a tulip_diag -ee (list the eeprom), i find the MAC Address :
> EEPROM size is 8.
>  A simplifed EEPROM data table was found.
>  The EEPROM does not contain transceiver control information.
> EEPROM contents:
>   0985 0002 0000 0000 d000 2359 657d 0000 <------- my mac address is
> 00:d0:59:23:7d:65

OK, this is the key info.  The '0985' indicates that this is a ADMtek
Comet/Centaur series chip.

This board is trivially supported as a Comet/Centaur, although it is
possibly a Comet-II.  Does it claim to have a HPNA transceiver?

>   0000 0400 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100
>   1216 1113 2242 1113 ffff 0000 0000 f0dc <--------  Vendor id=1113
> Device id=1216

The ADMtek chips have the ability to replace the default primary and
subsystem IDs with these values from the EEPROM.  Potentially we could have
to support thousands of IDs, but few board vendors have a motivation to make
their implementation appear to be unique.  Accton is one of the few vendors
that does this -- they also modified the ID with their RTL8139 board.