lock up

Bernd Stahlbock stahlbock@basysprint.de
Wed Oct 27 12:53:55 1999

Hello,

I've got a embedded System running under Kernel 2.0.36 RTL 1.1.
This worked fine for some weeksin a one embedded/ one controller PC.
Now we moved it so a 3-PC System, where 2 embedded PCs are working
with 1 Controller PC.
In the embedded PCs are Realtex RTL 8139 100TX Ethernet Chips. Now I
get a System-Lockup all few minutes, when I put a heavy load on the
network. I get Error messages (if the kernel is not completly dead)
like:

kfree of non-kmalloced memory: d99414, next=dc1000, order=5

block on freelist at 24d908 isn`t free

eth0 memory squeeze, deferring packet

ARP: No memory to send an arp packet

Sometimes the system is completly dead, sometimes only the network
connection. Memory is 32Meg with about 14Meg free.
I've read in the mailing lists, that some people had similar problems
with the 8139 driver one or two years ago, but I use Version 1.06,
which should be the newest.

Is it possible, that the driver doesn't work with the RT-extension,
for example because of buffer overflow when the RT-Kernel needs too
much time to let the driver do his work?

Does anybody know a solution for this Problem?

Thanks
Bernd

--
stahlbock@basysprint.de, http://www.basysprint.de
basysPrint GmbH, Guelzer Str. 15, 19258 Boizenburg, Germany