RTL8139 and 10/100 Base T

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 27 10:52:56 1999

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, pascal duchemin wrote:

> I would like to know if it's possible to force the drivers of the realtek
> 8139 to 10 BASET instead of 100 Base T ?

Read
 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/diag/index.html
Do
 mii-diag -F 10baseT
or
 mii-diag -A 10baseT

> I tried : ifconfig eth0 media 10baset

I don't know who implemented that "feature" of ifconfig, but they were
pretty clueless about the issues.   It was simple back when there was only
10base2, AUI, and 10baseT.  But now "10baseT" might mean
 "autonegotiate, advertising both 10baseT-half-duplex and 10baseT-full-duplex"
 "autonegotiate, advertising only 10baseT-HDX"
 "use the 10baseT transceiver, disabling autonegotiation"
 "use the 10baseT transceiver, ignoring lack of link beat"

With most newer chips the 10baseT transceiver might be internal to the chip,
or implemented as part of the external MII transceiver.  This doubles the
number of potential means of "10baseT".

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov