realtek docu, ASUS 486 MB

Vidar Andresen andrezen@c2i.net
Tue Oct 5 22:46:32 1999

Donald Becker <becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Hermann Lauer wrote:
>
>> I have bought two rtl8139 Ethernetkontrollers,
>> the one in my Pentium works fine, but the one in the
>> 486 hang's the machine.
>
>This isn't uncommon for newer PCI cards.

I've _had_ a machine with a Cyrixdx2-80, 'pci/verA1' or something.

And gave up both the rtl8139 and an Intel etherexpress with 82557 on
chip on that machine, and sold it. I did want 100Mbps on it, so.

>Where do I get this info from?   I had set up meetings this week for David
>Lesher with various Taiwanese companies (ADMtek, Lite-On, Realtek, SiS, VIA,
>Winbond) to discuss Linux driver issues.  The earthquake hit just after he
>landed :-<, so none of the meetings happened.  I just got email from him --
>he left Taiwan early and is now in Australia,

Could he be set into som kind of NWay mode with the Taiwanese?

I'm told chinese culture have a strong value on balance, 'the heavenly
peace place' is more than just a place.  And the signal value much
stronger than any disruption on any other place, i guess.

I'm told chinese culture have a weak value on copyright, whats in
public domain, like art, like anything, can be copied, like programs,
artefacts, nic-drivers.., and this is tradisjonally not reconed as
disrespect doing so.

I'm told chinese culture have a strong value on face.  Keeping it is a
good thing, losing it or being defaced is like losing self.

I dont mind a god conflikt and having the hard facts on the table,
things said without to much consern. But I am not chinese.

So could you write him a driver wich set him into, able to, negotiate
the 'right mode'(tm) with the Taiwanese?

Mvh Vidar Andresen