Inifinitive retransmission and timeout

MHC chiumh@ms15.hinet.net
Sun Aug 23 00:26:15 1998

Hi,

 I used a RTL8139 PCI board.
 The MB is Cyrix MediaGX 200MHz
 (with 5520 companion chipset.)
 The driver is 0.99B (coming along with
 kernel 2.0.34 of  Slackware 3.5).

 I found if some application goes wrong,
 the driver got stuck by retransmitting an
 outgoing packet indefintively, each time
 it prints a message after failure.

 Eth0 transmit timeout, status 0d, 00000

 Even the application has been killed,
 the messages lines get printing continously.

 Only reboot may restore the NIC' back to work.

 I can reproduce the above syndrome by
either one of following approaches

 1. In SAMBA's smb.conf, I purposely
     mispell the WORKGROUP's name
     to an non-existent workgroup name.

 2. Make Netscape 4.0 to reload a cgi-generated
     dynamic page which in turn embeds another
     cgi-feed inline IMG SRC. Sometimes Netscape
     4.0 will be out of sequence, i.e it first invokes
     image-feeder cgi to reload embeded inline image
     before the context page is reloaded.