Inifinitive retransmission and timeout

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 23 10:47:24 1998

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, MHC wrote:

>  I used a RTL8139 PCI board.
>  The MB is Cyrix MediaGX 200MHz
>  (with 5520 companion chipset.)
>  The driver is 0.99B (coming along with
>  kernel 2.0.34 of  Slackware 3.5).
>
>  I found if some application goes wrong,
>  the driver got stuck by retransmitting an
>  outgoing packet indefintively, each time
>  it prints a message after failure.
>
>  Eth0 transmit timeout, status 0d, 00000

This should be fixed by v1.03, which recovers from Tx underruns (the usual
source of the problem), and completely resets the chip on a timeout.

>  Only reboot may restore the NIC' back to work.

Restarting the interface should recover:
  ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up; route add ...

Please send a report verifying that the new driver version fixes the problem.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html