transmit error causes network to hang

salcido@us.ibm.com salcido@us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 31 18:29:27 2000

Hi,
I have an IBM 300GL with an Etherjet adapter (which is actually an intel
etherexpress 100B).  I have had intermittent problems with the card.  I am
running RedHat 6.1, right out of the box, no changes.  I downloaded,
compiled, and installed the latest eepro100 module.  When the machine first
comes up, the interface is ok.  I then try to use the network (mount a smb
share or ftp a file) and the network will suddenly freeze.  I look at a
netstat -in and see that the
packets received (RX-OK) is no longer incrementing and that the transmit
error (TX-ERR) column has incremented by one.   Bear with me, I dont know a
lot about networking.  I just happened to notice that everytime the network
hangs, this TX-ERR value has increased.  If I ifconfig the interface down
and up, the adapter is reset and begins working again.  After a while,
though, the same thing will happen again.  Is there an option I should
configure for the kernel module?  I have since installed 3com 905B and that
seems to be working ok.  I've tried monitoring the link with the mii-diag
program but I dont seem to get any info that would give me a clue as to
what is going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason