eepro100 Transmit timeouts - time to cut my losses?

Brian E. Bothwell brian@wisdomtools.com
Mon Sep 13 12:06:44 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Dr Mark Hagger wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 1999, Brian E. Bothwell wrote:
> > Hi, I have a Intel PCI EtherExpress Pro100 (Intel 82557), and am
> having
> > some problems with it that seem to be very similar to those others
> have
> > reported. I am about at wits end, and I am dead meat if I don't get
> this
>
> Well I've now tried just about all versions of the eepro100 driver that
> I can
> get my hands on, but sadly everything I have tried has ended with the
> machine spewing out continuous "Transmit timed out..." messages.
>
> I too am starting to think that I may have to ditch these network cards
> in
> favour of something that works (I should have been more suspicious
> aboout this
> card from Donald's "(this card was apparently) ... designed on another
> planet"
> comments in the header of the driver code).

Hehehe.  I should have looked at the code comments closer!

> Since I have 32 of these cards I'm not entirely happy about this
> solution, I
> would have to persuade those who control the budgets to release some
> money!
> But frankly I can't see any other realistic solution.  At the moment I
> cannot
> run any significant jobs without bringing at least one of the machines
> to its
> knees.
>
> Any suggestions to cards that do work under heavy network load will be
> gratefully received.
>
> Mark

I've heard praises for the SMC EtherPower II, which I have on order.  I
will have to install it and give it a workout and see how it fares.

I can let you know what I find if you like.

-Brian

Brian Bothwell                             brian@wisdomtools.com
System & Network Administrator             http://www.wisdomtools.com
WisdomTools, Inc.                          812-856-4200 #7