Multicasting problem on shut down

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 4 19:27:56 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Robert Schwartz wrote:

> ...is the multicast destination address your seeing:
> 01:80:c2:00:00:01?? If so, this is exactly what we are seeing.

> No, we did not do any testing with power management, the problem we saw
> happened whenever we told linux to shutdown, but didn't power off the
> .. After a few
> seconds (maybe 10-30) we saw the eepro100 (not every time, but at 1 out of 5
> times) start to multicast the 8808 frame. This in turn told all other
> eepro's on the network to stop transmitting, thus leaving your network in
> bad shape until the machine transmitting 8808's is shut down or yanked.

> We have added two lines (as suggested by Don B.) to the eepro100.c source
>> I'll make this change in my development version.

I have made this change.
It should be in both the version at
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/eepro100.c
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/index.html
and
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html