[Beowulf] [External] Re: interconnect wars... again...

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 27 15:46:10 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 9:41 AM Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf <
beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:

> Ugh. I hate Slack and those other "instant message" apps for stuff like
> this. My employer pays me to do work, not spend all day watching messages
> scroll by in a chat session. And those apps favor short messages w/o, so
> topics needing  a long e-mail with details and nuance suffer.
>
> Am I becoming an grumpy old curmudgeon, stuck in his ways and wary of new
> technology? Maybe. While I ponder this existential crisis, GET OFF OF MY
> LAWN!
>
> Prentice

+1

All Slack channels that people started here for various interest groups,
died quickly, or dwindled into dispersive "tete-a-tete" conversations
between very few individuals.
[Instead of using an IRC with bells and whistles, they might as well email
each other. :) ]
As Prentice pointed out, most people just don't have the time to follow
those too many channels.

Mailing lists are simple, effective, normally have a wider range of
interests, and reach out to a larger community.
[And don't belong to Slack / Saalesforce, or any other company.]

Gus Correa