[Beowulf] Thoughts on EasyBuild?

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Thu Jan 17 14:14:58 PST 2019

Dear all,

we are using Easybuild at work. Like most projects, you mileage will vary. I
am using it since October last year so my experiences might be a bit limited
here. What I found is that in most cases it really does what it says on the
tin. You can simply say 'build cp2k with the Intel compiler' which is a rather
big build if you put in all its dependencies, and it does it. You issue one
command and when you come back from lunch it has done it all for you. I
recently noticed it even downloads the Intel compiler it needs, next to all
the dependencies, installed them and created the necessary modules.
Like most things, I had a few issues with it as well. Some where around
downloading the source code. If the URL changed or there is a network problem,
then it obviously fails. That can be easily corrected.
I did run in some more complicated problems but I have to say the people on
the Slack channel are very helpful, friendly and responsive.

I guess is it depends on what you want to do. If you only have a small
software stack, it might be a bit of an overkill. If you happen to support a
large institution with big demands, it helps. Due to the use of modules, you
can provided different versions of one software as well. They are providing a
large set of Easybuild files and you can modify and create your owns as well.
We are not using the Python ones for one reason or another, here we are using
the conda environment. Else everything is done in Easybuild.
We also have a few different versions of Easybuild in our software stack, next
to some home brew Easybuild build files.

I would say give it a go, install a few complex systems you need on a test
machine, see how you find it, and decide.

My $2.00 here.

All the best from a cold London

Jörg