[Beowulf] Contents of Compute Nodes Images vs. Login Node Images

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Oct 23 23:44:11 PDT 2018

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 5:47:19 AM AEDT Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf
wrote:

> For the Blue Gene/Q, they did start supporting dynamically linked
> executables, but I don't know what changed to the OS to allow that.

The CNK (from memory) just passed all I/O over to the I/O nodes anyway, so if
your code dlopen()d a library it was just reading it from the image on the I/O
nodes.  BG/Q of course had the extra core for the kernel threads to avoid
getting in the way of the application on the 16 cores for compute.

This was one reason that there was a preference to static link on BG/P and BG/
Q as it would put less load on the I/O nodes when starting large jobs.  But of
course that's non-negotiable for some applications!

All the best,
Chris