[Beowulf] Contents of Compute Nodes Images vs. Login Node Images

Tru Huynh tru at pasteur.fr
Tue Oct 23 12:55:08 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:10:45AM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 05:48:00PM +0000, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>
> > We’re getting some complaints that there’s not enough stuff in the
> > compute node images, and that we should just boot compute nodes to
> > the login node image
>
> It's probably worth your while sitting down with your users and
> learning how they want to use the tool, instead of telling them.
>
>From a small lab size setup I am managing with warewulf diskless, the
compute nodes have a minimal set of rpm installed, but if the users want
to have the "same" environment as the login node, he can just
singularity shell into it. That works for me too when I need to build
on the faster compute nodes than on the login node and that gives me
a takeaway build container wherever I need it.

just my 2 cents

Tru

--
Dr Tru Huynh | mailto:tru at pasteur.fr | tel +33 1 45 68 87 37