[Beowulf] Mobos for portable use

Lukasz Salwinski lukasz at mbi.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 19 16:29:45 PST 2017

On 01/19/2017 02:09 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> (I just found that at least a while ago, Xilinx supported clusters for
>some of  their design tools.. Since right now the design I'm working
>with takes an hour to synthesize (on a single machine), I'm going to
>look further - it has been a real rate limiter in the lab, because it
>makes the test, new design, load, test cycle a lot longer.)

it looks like current (vivado 16.4) synthesis program hasn't been
parallelized - it's strictly single threaded and so uses just one
core... :o/  I've recently benchmarked a few i5 & i7 workstations
- there seem to be very little differences (maybe 10-20%) between
CPUs released over last ~4-5 years :o/

lukasz

  Lukasz Salwinski                             PHONE:        310-825-1402
  UCLA-DOE Institute                             FAX:        310-206-3914
  UCLA, Los Angeles                            EMAIL: lukasz at mbi.ucla.edu