[Beowulf] Innovative liquid cooling

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 4 16:17:43 PST 2013

http://hometown-pasadena.com/history/a-very-punny-mystery-resolved/8428

Reddi-Whip is VERY different from Cool-Whip.. the former is basically whipping cream (with sugar and carageneen) in a can pressurized with nitrous oxide (which has good properties for whipping cream).  Consumption of the propellant alone is a popular activity, leading to ever more complex seals on the cans in the store to prevent people from consuming the propellant and putting the can back on the shelf.

Cool-Whip is sold in a tub and is a foamed hydrogenated coconut and palm oil with corn syrup and some foam stabilizers like casein, xanthan gum and guar gum.
 It can be frozen and thawed (unlike real cream).  Apparently, they started adding a small amount of skim milk to it in 2010.  (From a Kosher standpoint, CoolWhip was always considered dairy because of the sodium caseinate, which is made from milk)

Jim Lux