[Beowulf] Has DDR IB gone the way of the Dodo?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Oct 1 10:59:05 PDT 2008

Joe Landman wrote:
> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> In the ongoing saga that is my new cluster, we were just told today that
>> Cisco is no longer manufacturing DDR IB cables, which we, uhh, need.
>>
>> Has DDR IB gone the way of the dodo bird and been supplanted by QDR?
>>
>> If so, why would anyone spec a brand new cluster with DDR?
>
> Hmmm.... Cisco isn't the only provider of IB cables.  Last I understood,
> they buy theirs from others.

I'm sure you're right. It's my understanding that IB is a
well-documented standard, so all IB cables should be created equally,
but you know vendors, they'll say that their cables are more equal than
others and refuse support if we're not using all Cisco kit.

And what is the status of DDR? Are people still using it, or has it
already been replaced by QDR in the marketplace?

> Cisco does appear to be transitioning to *other* technologies.  Again,
> they aren't the only IB provider out there (seems such a shame, gobbling
> up TopSpin and then effectively discarding them).

What *other* technolgies are you talking about QDR IB, or something
other than IB altogether, like 10 Gb Ethernet, or something all new and
proprietary?

--
Prentice