[Beowulf] Has DDR IB gone the way of the Dodo?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Oct 1 10:23:00 PDT 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> In the ongoing saga that is my new cluster, we were just told today that
> Cisco is no longer manufacturing DDR IB cables, which we, uhh, need.
>
> Has DDR IB gone the way of the dodo bird and been supplanted by QDR?
>
> If so, why would anyone spec a brand new cluster with DDR?

Hmmm.... Cisco isn't the only provider of IB cables.  Last I understood,
they buy theirs from others.

Cisco does appear to be transitioning to *other* technologies.  Again,
they aren't the only IB provider out there (seems such a shame, gobbling
up TopSpin and then effectively discarding them).

Qlogic, Voltaire, Mellanox are happy to sell you stuff.  You can even
call some of the tier2+ players and they will help.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO