[Beowulf] Again about NUMA (numactl and taskset)

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 24 13:21:01 PDT 2008

Not long ago GCP and me did do a comparision,
and visual c++ kicked all of them by a rather large margin.

intel c++ obviously is close to visual studio. Within 0.5% to 1.5%
range (depending upon flags
and hidden flags that you managed to get from someone). Intel C++ is
free for researchers such as
me.

The PG compiler and especially pathscale compiler are doing rather
well at benchmarks,
especially that last, yet at our codes they're real ugly. Maybe they
do better for floating point
oriented workloads, which doesn't describe game tree search.

What strikes me is that visual studio/intel c++ produce a far tinier
executable than either of those compilers
and that the fastest executable (in case of Diep) is a 32 bits one.
32 bits visual c++ executable with pgo
is roughly 1.5% faster than its 64 bits counterpart.

The main datastructures are using integers and a lot of pointers get
used. Seems in 64 bits this hurts a tad.

Vincent