[Beowulf] SuperMicro and lm_sensors

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Wed Jun 18 18:47:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:14:20PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 03:11:54PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>
> > Speaking of lm_sensors, does anyone have configs for recent SuperMicro
> > mobos? My SuperMicro support contact doesn't have ay idea, and running
> > sensors-detect leaves me with lots of readings which are
> > miscalibrated.
>
> Thanks to the 3 people who wrote me with suggestions.
>
> It appears that the magic is this:
>
> * Upgrade to a newer version of lm_sensors (atrpms has 2.10.6,
>    dunno if you can find lm_sensors3 rpms anywhere)
> * Make sure your kernel has a driver for what sensors-detect
>    detects
>
> Since I'm on CentOS 5.1, I was behind in both respects, and the result
> is that "sensors" prints nonsense -- it doesn't help that all of my
> boxes have 2 winbond chips in them, with the older one being detected
> and having a driver and having none of the interesting signals.
>
> With both updates I get reasonable numbers.
>
> -- greg

Hi Greg,
I have some experience with lm_sensors. And you are correct
that the 2.10.x release is required for many currrent system
boards and recent kernels. But that isn't enough, depending on
your system board. In particular, I have seen some cases where
the temperatures are mislabeled. Unless the system board
manufacturer gives you a configuration file, you might need to
verify the mapping of the temperature labels to specific devices.
YMMV.

Thanks,
Karen
--