[Beowulf] Re: overclocking with liquids

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 07:42:24 PDT 2007

Thanks all; a couple of people sent me this same article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/02/strip_out_the_fans/

They tried immersion in "ion-free" water (which I would not have considered;
I thought that since the water molecule is electrically asymmetrical, it
would always conduct a little...? but I'm not a physicist, I just claim to
be RGB at book signings) which worked for seconds at a time before crashing,
apparently no harm to the h/w though; then vegetable oil (which they felt
looked cool with a transparent plexiglass case) which worked better, but
still too much conductivity for the scale of pins on the CPU. So they sealed
the CPU, and then all seemed fine. They suggest motor oil would be
better. Kyle says the latter link is followup, I haven't read that yet.
Peter