[Beowulf] Re: [Dulug] Parallel debuggers (fwd)

James Cownie jcownie at cantab.net
Fri Oct 19 09:55:12 PDT 2007

On 18 Oct 2007, at 13:43, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Dear MPI Mavens,
>
> What is the current state of the art for MPI (or PVM or other parallel
> code) debuggers?  I vaguely recall some review articles on this on CWM
> and/or CM, and of course there has been list discussion in the
> past, but
> a quick summary would be very useful.

If you have money to spend you should look at TotalView (http://
www.totalviewtech.com), (maybe even if you don't think you have money
to spend it may be worth looking; after all, how much do you value
your time?).

It certainly has a lot of MPI support (I worked there for ten years
and did a large part of the implementation of MPI support , so I'm
not entirely neutral on this :-).

I'm not sure what free (as in beer) solutions there are, though as
part of getting TotalView working well with MPI Bill Gropp and I
published a paper (http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/368538.html) on how to
implement MPI debugging, so there's nothing to stop people who have
an itch from scratching it.

HTH

--
-- Jim