[Beowulf] who is buying those $200 PCs from wal-mart?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 07:17:06 PST 2007

There was some discussion of this at Slashdot. I surmise that a)
Walmart didn't do the quantity for initial release that that might do
for Brittany Spears Tableware or somesuch. b) a lot of bithead geeks
are buying them for their innumerate kin (but that's the kind of
anecdotal evidence you'd expect at Slashdot).
The countervailing idea is that pure economics...a machine that's
cheaper than the OS (if it were M$)... drives a groundswell of new
adopters from the tighter-budget demographic. I certainly hope that's
at least part of it. It makes a lovely ballance with One Laptop Per
Child.
Peter