[Beowulf] Re: A start in Parallel Programming?

David Simas dsimas at imageworks.com
Wed Mar 14 11:55:37 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 11:29:51AM -0700, David Mathog wrote:

> Conversely, the CS departments like to teach with idealized didactic
> computing languages.  What that language is changes from era to
> era, but they are in any case notable for rarely being used to
> accomplish anything significant outside of academia.  While these
> languages may be ideal for conveying key CS concepts to the
> students, they in no way represent the sorts of code the
> students will be encountering in the real world.   That code, like
> the mechanic's practice cars, are imperfect, and most of what
> they will be doing when they encounter such code is dealing
> precisely with the problems associated with those imperfections.

You may need computer programming to do Computer Science, like
you need English/French/Chinese/Farsi/whatever to do History.
But History isn't English, et al, and Computer Science isn't
computer programming.  What programming language you use for
Computer Science is quite arbitrary.  Or, maybe, a matter of
taste - de gustibus non est disputandum.

David S.