[Beowulf] Re: A start in Parallel Programming?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 14 13:11:29 PDT 2007

At 11:47 AM 3/14/2007, Peter St. John wrote:
>David,
>To follow the example of the automotive mechanic: Universities think
>they are producing Mechanical Engineers, not automobile mechanics.

The somewhat condescending model I was exposed to was:
The University of California produces researchers and professors with PhDs
California State Colleges produce practicing Engineers with BS and MS
degrees (taught by PhDs from the UC)
Trade Schools produce mechanics (taught by Engineers and experienced tradesmen)

In this framework, from the viewpoint of the department at the UC,
the primary distinction was between Universities and all the others
(the minor distinction being whether a graduate of the lower tiers
would be whether they get axle or slide rule grease on their hands)
(Actually, I'm not quite old enough for the hardcore slide rule era..
but I have one in my desk..)

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075