[Beowulf] Power 6

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 25 02:45:37 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Li, Bo" <libo at buaa.edu.cn>
To: "Vincent Diepeveen" <diep at xs4all.nl>; "Toon Knapen" <toon.knapen at fft.be>
Cc: <beowulf at beowulf.org>; "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Intel Quad-Core or AMD Opteron

> Intel will have CSI and on die memory controller soon following what AMD
> has done for a few years.
> HT or CSI will help us build machines based on NUMA or similar
> architectures.
> Based on current memory technologies, I can't find any methods for "memory
> wall". And a 4 core processor can eat all memory bandwidth in some cases.
> With NUMA we can gat machines work as several current machine but
> connected with fast on-board connection. Image a super computer on
> desktop, and what's next?
> Many-core processors are coming, how to power beowulf with them? I think
> it is a very interesting topic.
> Power 6 is a really strange processor for me. It works with a in order
> architecture. I am looking forward to see any detailed evaluation for it.

I didn't get deep into power6 yet, as odds is near 0% i'll ever run on it,
but for software that isn't using IBM libraries power6 might get a big
dissappointment.

My assumption with respect to power6 is that is will keep a very expensive
cpu, drawing a lot of power.

Now at specint and specfp there is always programs where optimizing X or Y
suddenly boost that specific program factor 2 or so.

Of course as you see me co-author of sjeng-spec, i happen to know its
hashtable is 150MB; more wasn't allowed by spec (WEIRD DECISION TAKING OVER
THERE). That fits nearly in power6's cache of course.

Sjeng-spec, in contradiction to the better software, is needing quite some
bandwidth internally for move storage (using many integers whereas in Diep
for example is use 1 or 2 integers). All that should on paper be a major
advantage for power6. For evaluation sjeng-spec uses a function table, which
i use in Diep too, and which had let crash several compilers from big
manufacturers for their 'spec'  test compile, years ago. In itself another
interesting question why something completely legal in C, which actually
gets used in quite some software, let those compilers crash.

Point is, normally spoken most cpu's mispredict all this. So that's another
advantage to power6.

Despite all those huge advantages for a highend chip compared to lowend
chips,
practical the 4.7Ghz power6 is equal to a 2.x Ghz core2.

Whether it is 2.2Ghz or 2.4Ghz or 2.6Ghz, that''s all not so interesting.
I rechecked 5 times to be sure that i didn't make a mistake interpreting
specint data.
I didn't even exactly calculate what speed core2 it is equal too. It's just
so shocking slow for integer work.

Power6 gets delivered in 2008 to the universities. We all know that improved
intel and AMD cpu's in 2008 will by then for sure clock far over 3Ghz. You
can of course risk big wars by guessing 3Ghz for AMD and 3.2Ghz for intel,
it being unclear which of those 2 chips is faster by the time power6 gets
delivered, but i'm pretty convinced i keep on the safe side saying that for
the average number crunching program, the small tiny processors are on the
winning side.

If you go inorder, then deliver within 1 cpu a core or 64+ and clock it 4+
Ghz :)

We all remember itanium2 just too well.

You don't buy a power6 just to do matrix calculations. You buy it to run
software that without much of a modification needs to run generic fast at
it.

Of course for most universities the choice is a tad more complex. If you
want 100% garantuee that a new intel Xeon 4 core chip releases start 2008,
you'll never get it.
If you want garantuees as an university that a new AMD machine by 1 januari
2008 can deliver you X gflops, that's a bad idea too.

Hardware goes that fast, it's only possible to know at the very last moment
what amount of gflops an ordered machine is going to deliver.

What can give some garantuees is when AMD+Intel garantuee that a specific
socket is going to work for a new generations of chips.

That does give the possibility to order a new machine some months in
advance, without the need for a garantuee with respect to when the faster
cpu's arrive.

We're speaking about a huge amount ofmoney difference here, not some % of
total price, but rather some factors of price difference. Seems to me power6
is still profitting from the way university commissions and subsidy rules
tend to work.

Power6 might be one of the last highend cpu's.

I am not sure whether we must be sad or happy about just that.

Vincent