[Beowulf] Intel Quad-Core or AMD Opteron

Li, Bo libo at buaa.edu.cn
Fri Aug 24 07:57:31 PDT 2007

Intel will have CSI and on die memory controller soon following what AMD has done for a few years.
HT or CSI will help us build machines based on NUMA or similar architectures.
Based on current memory technologies, I can't find any methods for "memory wall". And a 4 core processor can eat all memory bandwidth in some cases. With NUMA we can gat machines work as several current machine but connected with fast on-board connection. Image a super computer on desktop, and what's next?
Many-core processors are coming, how to power beowulf with them? I think it is a very interesting topic.
Power 6 is a really strange processor for me. It works with a in order architecture. I am looking forward to see any detailed evaluation for it.
Regards,
Li, Bo