[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Fri Apr 13 07:11:14 PDT 2007

I think think that the web based interface always seems like a better
idea that it really is. We all have used the web, and we are comfortable
with web applications. There are also a number of successfull web based
scientific applications. But...

I see a web based submission system as an entry point. For a number of
years I have managed web based bioinformatics applications (generally on
SMP machines). I have found that they work best for more casual users.
As research becomes more sophisticated the web interface is usually
dropped in favor of a more powerful command line or alternately a
request is made for a wrappper to handle the application from a
simplified command line.

Mike Davis