[Beowulf] OT? GPU accelerators for finite difference time domain

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Mon Apr 2 06:35:14 PDT 2007

Mark Hahn wrote:
>> If you want to use GPUs for computations, I suggest that you take a
>> look at CUDA
>> (http://www.nvidia.com/cuda). The SDK is available for free and  it is
>> using a C like syntax (so you don't need to write shader and be
>> familiar with OpenGL or DX9 ).
> there's ATI/AMD's CTM effort as well, as well as several independent
> ones.
> www.gpgpu.org is a great resource to start with.
This connects back to an earlier posting of mine which drew a "dead cat
bounce" for a
response ... ;-) ... , but you should also definitely look at both the
offerings of PeakStream
and RapidMind.  PeakStream (like CUDA) provides libraries and a
development environment
(their current focus is GPUs), but abstract the idea of co-processing
one step further
 to a virtual machine (Mitrion-C does the same for FPGAs) connected to a
master serial
processor.  Any additional co-processing resource (any of several
flavors of GPUs, a CELL
SPE, or non-rank zero,homogenous multi-cores, etc.) can provide the
horse power for the
data parallel accelerations.  They claim that once a particular backend
for the VM is
available you will be able run your code without a recompile on it or
any other supported
backend.   I think the RapidMind product is similar.  Peakstream has a
nice white paper on
their web site and the main Rapid Mind paper is:

Data-parallel Programming on the Cell BE and the GPU using RapidMind
Developoment
Platform by Mike McCool.

The jist of my earlier posting was "Does such a data-parallel VM
abstraction have a future
in an HPC world of heterogeneous on and off-chip co-processors?"  Its
presence as part
of the  Mitrion-C and PeakStream programming models suggests someone
with money
believes as much.

rbw

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

>  "Making predictions is hard, especially about the future."
>
>   Nils Bohr

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.