[Beowulf] commercial clusters

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sat Sep 30 04:36:17 PDT 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 3:37 am, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> No average joe knows the word 'linux'.
> For them an astronaut course is easier than learning linux.

That is demonstrably false:

 ----

http://vic.computerbank.org.au/

Computerbank Victoria founded the Australian Computerbank project in 1998. We
recycle donated computers with quality free software and distribute them to
disadvantaged individuals and community groups. Donated computers are tested
and obsolete parts are stripped and recycled by volunteers, staff and Work
for the Dole participants.  We install a free Debian Linux operating system
on our computers.  The system is customised to run efficiently on older
hardware.

 ----

Both the folks who build and those who receive these systems are very often
the "average joe" (or joe-ess) whom you refer to.   Just look at the photo on
their main page of the users of the thin client network they set up for a
Melbourne library..

Chris