[Beowulf] commercial clusters

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 29 10:37:58 PDT 2006

Orion computer falls in total other line of computing.
It falls in the region of users that's on this list.

Orion computer is interesting for those who wanted 192GB ram
and it runs linux. So for embarrassingly parallel software that is
number crunching it is interesting.

No average joe knows the word 'linux'.

For them an astronaut course is easier than learning linux.

So that line of machine is not for the 'average joe'.

Just based upon computing power it's not worth buying an orion $100k
machine either.

You need to offer a good deal, not something that is very expensive.

I would have bought myself an orion machine would it offer 192 cpu's
for $10k with inside 2 GB of ram.

Then i work very hard for 2 years to get my program to work over
gigabit ethernet with those ugly latencies.

*that* is a good deal.

It released end of 2005 and the latency from node to node is pathetic,
so it is quite hard to run any software at it that the average joe likes in
a faster manner than that you can run it at a fast A64.

Additional it is 1500 watt. Too much for average joe.

With a dual opteron dual core with 680 watt i can already heat this entire
office room
(ok it isn't winter yet), provided i do not open the window. With 1500 watt
it produces
more heat than 3 people do in a living room and i bet it makes a huge sound
too.

The hardest thing to make on the planet is a good toy that works for the
average joe.

Vincent