[Beowulf] Looking for external RAID vendors

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Sep 28 05:40:54 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 5:54 am, Mike Davis wrote:

> We've had good luck with Apple's arrays.

</lurk>

So have we.

On the other hand we've had an IBM FAStT & EXP enclosure (or whatever they're
called today) which lost 2 SCSI drives (one in the main unit and one in the
EXP) within a minute, both in the same RAID-5 array.

Fortunately we coaxed one of them back into life long enough for the array to
rebuild onto the hot spare, swapped the dead one out, failed the other
suspect drive, rebuilt and replaced that one.

Turned out they were both manufactured on the same day..

<lurk>