[Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86)

Brian Dobbins brian.dobbins at yale.edu
Sat Sep 9 22:53:17 PDT 2006

> http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/31/28/
> Might help put things in perspective a bit and adds a few
> more to the list. Published about a year ago -- still fresh
> in the context of filesystems.

I don't have much to add personally in terms of experience with parallel
file systems, but for those interested, here are a few talks and papers
with information on IBM's GPFS from recent SP Scicomp meetings:

1) Presentation about GPFS (and its roadmap) by Ray Paden at SP Scicomp 11
   http://www.spscicomp.org/ScicomP11/Presentations/IBM/paden.pdf

2) Another presentation about GPFS at SP Scicomp 12
   http://www.spscicomp.org/ScicomP12/Presentations/IBM/Gunda-GPFS-0706.pdf

  Also, regarding Ibrix's technology, there is a paper in the Journal of
Scientific Computing titled "'Perfectly' Scalable Data I/O'".  I can't
link to it because it requires access to the Journal archives, but I
imagine a number of people here have access through their
lab/university.  It is in volume 24 (2005), number 3, pages 373-404.  Of
the three authors, two are or were connected with Ibrix - one being the
CTO and the other a professor at Yale who co-founded the company
according to his webpage.

  I'd certainly welcome hearing more about peoples experiences with
parallel file systems in general (though perhaps in a new thread?), as
despite traditionally having low I/O requirements,  I'm sure we'll be
heading that way in the future as well.

  Thanks,
  - Brian