[Beowulf] RE: portable clusters

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:40:53 PST 2005

Since you have to reboot the laptops by hand anyway how much more
work would it be to slap a CD in each drive at the same time?  You
could easily put together SLAX or some other live CD customized
for your laptop applications.  (I'm fond of SLAX for that at the moment
because it has a nice "write over" feature that makes it easy to
replace config files.)  Then all you need to run on the Windows
box is an FTP server, and there are a couple of those around.
I've used WarFTPD a few times and it worked fine.  Also some scripts
to drive whatever machine this is and drop the data into the pickup
directory.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu