[Beowulf] single power supply for multiple nodes

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Jun 28 16:04:47 PDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> Greetings! I'm wondering if anybody sells (kilowatt-) power supplies
> that can provide power for multiple nodes, and if they're any good
> and/or affordable at all. Might be nice if you're thinking about densely
> packing diskless nodes without normal PC cases - e.g. with custom racks.

at the point where you get a whole rack of nodes off a single
powersupply the size of the conductors for some of the voltages get quite
large (the 3.3volt and 5volt especially if you need a couple hundred
amps)... if you want to go that route you're better off using a very large
dc power supply telco style -48volt dc for example and a dc-dc power
supply which will be quite compact and relativly efficient. 1kw wouldn't
be that huge anyway that's enough for 4-6 dual opteron nodes.