Subject: [Beowulf] Re: SGE + policy

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jun 2 07:38:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 at 4:56pm, Steve Cousins wrote

> I don't know if the proposed cluster is using dual CPU's but I believe you
> can run multiple Matlab sessions on one node and use only one license.
> So if you had two CPU's you could run two sessions (and more probably if
> you had a bunch of interactive sessions) and use only one license.  This
> would at least drop the number of licenses needed in half.  So, depending
> on what the Matlab licenses cost these days maybe it would be cheaper to
> get a bunch of 8 CPU Opterons :^o

A slight correction -- FlexLM considers 1 license to be user at host.   So
foo at node1 can fire up as many Matlab sessions as foo likes, and it'll
still be 1 license.  But foo at node2 or bar at node1 would each be another
license.

The relationship between this and the creation of a "matlab" user under
which all Matlab jobs are run is left as an exercise for the reader...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering