"Genica GN-788" fast ethernet chipset?

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Mar 14 13:08:27 PST 2003

Has anyone here ever heard of a "Genica GN-788" fast ethernet chipset?
Is it any good?

I recently ordered 13 inexpensive low profile (short) fast ethernet
cards using the "ADMtek Chipset (AN983B)", which a Google search told
me is Tulip compatable.

Now, the vendor is shipping me different cards, model "GN-788" with
"Genica GN-788" chipset, and claiming that "the chipset is different
because the ADMtek Chipset have been recalled by the factory for
chipset error.  GENICA works the same."

Which sounds awfully suspicious since I've never heard of this Genica
chipset, and it seems to sell on the net for c. $3 or so per card.
Basically, I plan to ask for my money back, but first I'd prefer to
know for sure whether this cheap Genica card is actually any good.

The vendor (found on Ebay) in question is:

  http://www.underhere.com/

This "Genica" white box operation seems to have a website, but the
ethernet card in question isn't listed:

  http://www.genica.com/

Some other places selling this cheap-o Genica card are:

  https://www.emaxasp.com/ikordesign/details.asp?item=GN%2D778%2D20BOX
  http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN-788

Thanks for any info or advice!

--