C++ programming (was Newbie Alert: Beginning parallel program ming with Scyld)

Eray Ozkural erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Sun Oct 20 04:10:17 PDT 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 03:01, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> Now, I must take exception the fine elcture on "What is a Library."
> I'll have you know *I* was using reusable code back in the days of 029
> keypunches, and IBM's IEBPRINTPUNCH utilities.  I called 'em subroutines
> and functions.  I called them directly or indirectly, and I reused them
> by loading them into the hopper every time I ran the job.  I lived for
> the times when I could justify a data _TAPE_ instead of 3 boxes of data
> _CARDS_, though!
> Winkingly yours, Gerry
> And for the record... How many REALLY recall the "Do Inspite Of"
> construct in the Fortran77 draft standards?

This has got be one of the coolest posts ever on this list :)

Still, there is a moot point. The hard fact is that there is no parallel
programming language despite all the claims. In my opinion the only one that
comes close is HPF and a few of the functional PL compilers (like ghc), but I
never had the leisure to try them so that is assuming you trust the papers.

My programming language of choice for parallel programming is C++, since it is
a low level language (in spite of what you may think) but still suffficiently
abstract to allow me to code in a rather modular and comprehensible way. C++
is eligible for the role of assembly in supercomputing. With C++/MPI, I can
write generic communication routines, object-based data structure libs and
such, none of which is really possible in the two remaining culprits.

My order of preference for a parallel programming project would be
1) C++
3) C

This is the best we can do with three languages that all suck.

I had been planning to write a parallel programming language that would have a
nice functional semantics and efficient execution during my msc. thesis. I
was thinking, maybe I could find a program representation through which an
automatic code/data distribution/replication could be derived (overly
simplifying things) What I found was that the thesis exploded in my hand and
I had to find another subject :) If somebody offers me an inordinate amount
of resources, I can get back to that subject gladly. I guarantee no results
however ;)

PS: I think I truly hated C when I coded a parallel quicksort routine for a
lamer at our department (I can give you his name so you can avoid him in the
future). Besides, he didn't pay me the complete amount of money he promised.

Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza