Motherboard query...

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:23:31 PST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 ml at fms-computer.com wrote:

> > [... some bad experiences with 6800 and RedHat...]
> >
> > I posted to various mailing lists my experience, and got quite a few
> >
> > I seem to recall seeing a press release or similar saying 3ware was
> > getting out of the eide raid controller business, but I'm guessing
> > that either wasn't true or they changed their mind.

promise has an niceish raid controller in the form of the sx6000 which is
an i2o(i960) raid controller. it has six channels instead of 8 and it's
slower than a 3ware 7810 but it's also cheaper.

In both cases (3ware or promise) you can actually get higher performance
by just running them in jbd mode and doing software raid-5 but the
hardware raid modes aren't what I'd call terrible either.