node status

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 9 09:59:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:24:51AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

<snip>

> Just pinging a host gives you approximate up/down information -- at the
> very least if it pings it MIGHT be up and running normally, while if it
> doesn't ping there are likely problems with the host or the network.

Just an addon: There is "anna" (formerly pping), which is a tcp ping.
I had encountered the problem that I could ping a node but couldn't
reach the node neither via ssh, rsh, etc. Thus, ping was giving me false
positives. This has never happened with pping, which I have been using
for about two years now on my master node (in connection with big brother
for notification). Here is the URL for anna:

http://www.blazen.com/anna

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6