PVFS and Software RAID

Walter B. Ligon III walt at parl.ces.clemson.edu
Mon Jan 22 08:21:14 PST 2001

--------

As far as I know, neither approach will work.  The only way I know to implement
redundancy is to put two drives in each node, use software RAID to create a
redundant system on each node, and then use PVFS to get parallel data
distribution.

This will protect you from disk failure, but not from node failure.  In the
event
of node failure you would have to repair or replace the node and bring it back
up with disks intact.  This prevents data loss, but does not insure high
availability.

If the software RAID drivers have recently gained the ability to do mirroring
across the network, I didn't know that and I'd like to hear about it.

Walt