Robert G. Brown rgb at
Mon Feb 12 04:52:30 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> Another manufacturer is, but again you have to buy
> through a reseller. 3ware is very Linux friendly and provides a GPLed
> driver. It *looks* like a SCSI disk in software, but you can do RAID
> 0, 1, and 1+0. Performance approaches 100 MB/s. But the best part is
> that the expensive 8-disk unit is only $400 for the card.

I put this (and the other suggestions I received) on the brahma page:

I'm sure that there are more "interesting" solutions like this out there
-- I'd suggest a few quiet minutes with a web browser if you are in the
market for big, cheap, fast storage.  It sounds like one can find
anything from hardware-supported mirroring to hot swap drive arrays
built on top of cheap (but currently very fast) UDMA disks.

Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at