Some Questions about scyld beowulf!

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Mon Aug 27 03:32:26 PDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, ×Þ ¹âÏÈ wrote:

> I have installed scyld beowulf .
> now my cluster consisted with 24 PCs.each one have 40G harddisk,1G ram.when
> i have a look at scyld beowulf status monitor,i found that the disk column
> is "35/37Mb(95%).i do not know whether my scyld beowulf have 40G*24=960G
> harddisk ?or just have 24G in the master node? the harddisk in the other
> slave node was not partioned into the cluster?

By default, Scyld Beowulf uses a ramdisk setup on each slave node and
never touches the harddisk.  So, the maximum of 37M you saw is because
the ramdisk is only 37M.  It doesn't show anything for the actual hard
drive because the hard drive isn't mounted.

> if originally i  have win98 or redflag linux  in node 10,after i used it as
> a slave node in the cluster, do the win98 or redflag linux is still on this
> node??

See above, the hard disk isn't touched unless you use beofdisk to
partition the slave node's hard drives, then modify /etc/beowulf/fstab
so that they're mounted.  If you don't do either of these things, the
actual hard drives on the slave nodes are never touched.