Scyld and GPL

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Wed Aug 22 10:34:28 PDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Eric T. Miller wrote:

> I am risking a good flaming here, but I think it's worth it.
>
> This is in regard to ilker ARABACI's post, and my own experience in looking
> for an ISO image.

The GPL refers to the source, not the ISO image, and the source is
there.

> Since Scyld is built on top of Red Hat, isn't it subject to the GPL just
> like any other Linux distribution?  It is my understanding that if any
> previous code is used to develop a new distribution, then it is clearly a
> product of the GPL and should be made freely (and easily) available.  Please
> correct and educate me if I am wrong!

That code is freely and easily available from
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/beowulf/

> If this is the case, however, will we see the download links given equal
> billing with the commercial (pay) links on Scyld's homepage?  This seems to
> be the status quo with all other major Linux distros.  I think many
> potential clustering enthusiasts are put off at first by the "fog" that
> surrounds getting your hands on the Scyld software.  This is not indicative
> of the sense of community fostered by the whole of the Linux family.

I don't ever recall seeing a link from Red Hat's website to where you
can download their software.  And for kicks I just went back to their
website and I am still unable to find a link to where you can download
their distribution.