Anyone use Alpha 500a to form a beowulf cluster ?

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Wed Aug 15 21:27:35 PDT 2001

Ron Chen wrote:

> If all you want is simple batch jobs, you don't even
> need to modify the kernel, all you need is a batch
> system, like PBS (Portable Batch System), or SGE (Sun
> Grid Engine).

Can you imagine a cluster without a batch queue system ?
You seem to present it as the most important component.
I mean a batch queue may be nice and usefull, but I
know a lot of machines without one. All of you

> If you want to run parallel jobs (like PVM or MPICH),
> then you can also use the batch systems to schedule
> the jobs. However, TCP/IP and Ethernet is not fast
> enough for message passing, so you may need to install
> SCORE and Myrinet.

TCP/IP and Ethernet are good enough for a lot of usage,
including message passing. It's certainely the cheapest
and easiest way to implement message passing.
BTW, you can use Myrinet without Score, or even Score
without Myrinet.

Patrick

|   Patrick Geoffray, Ph.D.      patrick at myri.com         |
|   Myricom, Inc.                http://www.myri.com      |
|   Cell: 865-389-8852           325 N. Santa Anita Ave.  |
|   Fax:  865-974-1950           Arcadia, CA 91006        |